Skip to main content

After resting the entire previous day (fortunately, it was sunny, making it warm in the tent), unpacking our things, and caching most of our food and clothing under the snow at the camp, we set off for the fourth and penultimate camp.

We took food only for seven days, knowing we could return to camp three if needed.

The journey to the fourth camp was technically more challenging: we walked on blue ice and a strong wind was blowing. We had to overcome a significant elevation, but this time we only had our heavy backpacks. Chris, being the strongest and most experienced amongst us, carried the sled with the group equipment.

Surprisingly, the whole ascend to the camp 4 felt easy for me. The path to the fourth camp seemed like a stroll. Out of boredom and waiting at bottlenecks, I sang songs along the route.

Chris also felt good, but Joseph struggled: his body had not yet acclimatized enough and he started to develop a headache.

The views were stunning. I had never seen such majestic mountains and glaciers. I felt like a small, insignificant speck amidst nature’s immense power. For the first time, distant valleys came into view. Mount Sultana, or Mount Foraker, was particularly beautiful, rising high above the vast glaciers below.

I felt overjoyed and intoxicated by the beauty around me. I was grateful for the opportunity to see and experience it all. Even if we failed to reach the top of Denali, the expedition would be worth it for this view alone. I would leave Denali 100% happy after seeing all this beauty.

After a long day, we finally could see the tents of the fourth camp. Joseph fell exhausted into the snow in front of the first tents in the camp. He definitely needed a day of rest. Chris and I looked for a place to set up our tents. Soon, Joseph joined us, though without his heavy backpack, which I helped him to carry.

We prepared sites for the tents and went straight to bed, skipping a warm dinner: we ate only bread with sausage and cheese.

Leave a Reply